As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Leggings are one of the most versatile garments, as you can use them as pants, or tights, convert them to shirts, or use them as hair wraps. Learning how to wrap your hair with leggings comes in handy when you don’t have enough hair wraps or you forgot them when traveling.
How to Wrap Your Hair With Leggings
Leggings are like pants, only that they are made of materials such as cotton, spandex, polyester, and fleece. These fabrics make leggings elastic, and they can stretch to wrap the hair just like the standard hair wraps. However, the look of the resulting wrap will still vary on the fabric.
Keeping in mind that leggings are not designed for wrapping hair, you will need some techniques to use them as hair wraps. Depending on your wrapping preference and the size of your hair, you can use one of the following methods to wrap your hair using leggings.
You can use this method to wrap your hair using leggings in a stepped manner, with each legging crossing being a little higher than the previous one. Considering that the leggings are not large enough to raise the wrapping high, you can consider using another garment under the wrap to make it taller.
Put on a cap that will help hold the piece of cloth in place as you wrap the leggings. Although it depends on your preference, it’s advisable to wear a cotton cap as cotton material doesn’t slip away easily.
Depending on your size, you can fold a t-shirt into a round shape, tuck it under the cap over the center of the head to push it a little bit up, and then use the following steps to wrap.
- Put on the leggings from the forehead such that the legs of the leggings hang at the back slightly below the center of your head.
- For the steps to form, you will first need to create V shapes in front of the front hairline. Insert the first finger and the thumb of both the right and left hand into the leggings slightly on the left-hand side such that the right hand holds the leggings around the forehead area and the left hand holds the leggings just before the left ear
- Since the leggings are elastic, pull them out using both hands to create a space between the head and the leggings, and then press and push the leggings inwards and diagonally upwards using the right hand while stretching the other part and bringing it diagonally downwards using the left-hand to overlap the inward section.
- Ensure the cross-over of the two sections forms an inverted V shape around the front hairline area. Note that you should do this using the waist area of the leggings and not the legs.
- While holding the edge of the outer V with the tips of your right-hand fingers pressed on your hair, so the V doesn’t come out, use your left hand to cross the left leggings from the back to the front. You can interchange the hands when completing the crossing.
- Release the edge of the waist area you were holding while crossing the leg of the leggings tightly on it, such that the leg of the leggings crosses slightly above the actual V shape. Remember to keep the leg of the leggings even when doing this.
- Cross it again tightly to make another round. However, remember to leave some space between the first round and the second one, so they don’t completely overlap one another like they are stacked together. Usually, this is what will make the steps.
- Once the leg of the leggings can’t form another complete round, stretch the remaining part, use your right hand to pull out the wrap on your head, and then tuck it in. In most cases, this will be after the second round.
- Repeat the same procedure using the right leggings’ leg going in the opposite direction, which will be from the right through the back area to the left. Typically, the wrap should be complete with inverted V-shape steps around the forehead area.
Raised Wrap Near the Front Hairline
Just like how you raised the cap when creating stepped wraps, fold a t-shirt into a ball, and tuck it in the cap. However, instead of tucking the t-shirt at the center of the head, tuck it around the front area right after the baby hairs in the forehead, with the ball leaning towards the forehead.
Put on the leggings from the back of the head, such that the legs of the leggings are in between the baby hairs and the middle of the head, right behind the raised part. Hold the legs of the leggings apart using your hands, and then crisscross them right between the baby hairs and the ball.
Repeat the same and crisscross the legs at the back of the ball. However, when crossing in front for the second time, tie the legs instead of just crisscrossing. You can then tuck the remaining part of the legs at the back.
Twisted Wrap Near the Front Hairline
If you don’t have a garment such as a t-shirt or another pair of leggings, you can still create a raised wrap near the forehead by folding the leggings into a raised ball. Simply put on the cap and the leggings.
Instead of holding the legs of the leggings apart, squeeze them together in the front part of the head and then twist them as you move them in spirals to form a rounded raising ball that looks like a donut.
When you near the end of the legs, tuck one leg at a time to avoid undoing the shape as you try to tuck in the two legs together.
Extended Wrap at the Back
Still, you can use leggings to tie the hair in a way that will make your hair appear longer. Wear a cap, create a ball of t-shirt and tuck it in at the back of your head, creating an extension that falls on your back.
Wear the legs from the front of the head, such that the legs of the leggings fall below the ball of the t-shirt. Hold the legs of the leggings apart using your hands, crisscross, tie and tuck the endings just like when creating a raised wrap near the forehead.
If you don’t like the raised styles or you want to wrap the hair during bedtime, you can still use the leggings to make a flat wrap. Simply wear the leggings from the back such that the legs of the leggings are in the front hairline.
Hold the legs of the leggings apart, squeeze and twist them and then tie them around your head in opposite directions. As usual, tuck in the remaining parts of the leggings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Wrap My Hair With Leggings When Going to Work?
You can tie your hair with leggings when going to work, as long as the dressing code of your workplace doesn’t prohibit the wrapping of hair. It’s advisable to tie your hair with fancy and high-quality leggings when going to work, rather than old leggings.
Can I Wrap My Hair With Leggings Only?
Whether you have forgotten your hair wraps when going on camping trips or your collection of hair wraps is not enough for daily bedtimes, learning how to wrap your hair with leggings can help you use them as hair wraps by wearing a cap and tying the leggings on top.